Have thinning hair? Greasy hair? Hair loss? Dull & thin? Flaky?
Good news!! as with most things, there are essential oils that can promote a more luxurious locks, today I share my top 5 essential oils for haircare and a recipe.
As simple as they are, essential oils can be an easy way to improve all kinds of hair woes. From overly greasy (which I tend to deal with) to brittle. And, for the most part, simply adding these oils to the shampoo or conditioner of your choice could be all it takes to see great improvements.
My Top 5 Essential Oils for Hair Care:
- Rosemary – Rosemary is often used to thicken hair for both men & women, but it’s also good to reduce oiliness.
- Melaleuca – Because of it’s balancing properties, and super-good-for-the-skin qualities, melaleuca is a fantastic option for dry, flaky scalps. Plus, it’s wonderful to help prevent the spread of hair-borne pests. It’s simple, but most little bugs don’t like the smell!
- Sandalwood – Sandalwood promotes the retention of moisture in our hair and our skin. It is one of my favorites for skincare, and I love to come it through my hair after a shower because the smell is very grounding and relaxing. Using sandalwood makes me feel super pampered.
- Cedarwood – The woodsiness of this oil offers great emotional support, but it’s wonderful for the scalp and hair as well. It helps reduce itchiness & flakes, prevent breakage, hair loss & split ends, and promotes growth.
- Zendocrine Detoxification Blend – This combo of Tangerine, Rosemary, Geranium, Juniper Berry & Cilantro may not be what you want your head to smell like, but it is an amazing group of oils for hair health! Most likely because all of these oils are cleansers and detoxers, it helps maintain a healthy glow and is great for the scalp. So if you’re looking to knock out several issues with one quick drop, this might be the one.
Tips for Using These Oils
- Don’t be shy! Any of these is great to use straight from the oil bottle! Put a drop in your palm and work it through your hair, or focus more on the scalp, depending on your intent.
- Use a carrier. My favorite way to add oils to my hair is by adding a drop to a pump of the Root to Tip Serum.
It stands on its own as one of my favorite products ever for hair and makes an amazing beard oil, but customizing it with the oil that meets your hair needs is super smart. It has a super light blend of carrier oils and essential oils–some of which are on my top 5: Lavender, Peppermint, Marjoram, Cedarwood, Lavandin, Rosemary, Niaouli, and Eucalyptus.
- Add a few drops to your shampoo. For an average 8 oz bottle of shampoo, I’d add about 10-12 drops of eo’s in whatever combination you like.
Or add a drop to the amount you’re using (though it can be tricky to do this while you’re in the shower with wet hands, but…keeping essential oils in your shower is totally normal 😉 ) Also, don’t worry too much about it washing away. The exposure your hair has while you’re sudsing up can be super powerful!
- Add a few drops to your conditioner. Just like with the shampoo.
- Use our Shampoo and Conditioner combo! They are super luxurious and come prepackaged with a wonderful array of delcious smelling oils.
- Make a dry shampoo and add the oils, particularly the oils good to prevent oil build up. Don’t worry, it’s not crazy.
- Make a deep conditioner like the recipe included! Your hair will thank you. And, you could whip up a batch of homemade mayonaise or buy the good stuff–it’s wonderful for hair!
Now for the conditioner!
Alternatively, buying deep hair conditioning products or getting a conditioning treatment at a spa can be expensive, and most treatments contain unnecessary chemicals that are not good for you or the environment, doing it on your own is pretty impressive. Your friends will admire your hair, and putting kitchen ingredients on your head is a fun to insert into conversations.
Quick Fix Homemade Deep Conditioner: 3 tablespoons coconut oil 1 tablespoon olive oil 8 drops doTERRA essential oils (use some of the recommended from my top 5 list!) (wait, you don’t HAVE these oils? Let’s talk! We can fix that!) Stand or hand mixer
- Put coconut oil, olive oil, and essential oils in mixing bowl.
- Mix on medium/high speed for 5 minutes or until ingredients are whipped to a thick and creamy consistency.
- Once whipped, apply to clean dry hair.
- Comb through with wide tooth comb to evenly distribute.
- Let sit 15-20 minutes. Rinse, shampoo and style as desired.
- Repeat once a week or as often as desired.
Enjoy your soft, healthy, and chemical-free hair!
Other products my hair and I love: our Healthy Hold Glaze!
As a no-fuss-natural kind of girl, I often don’t take time to style my do. But, when I take the 20 extra seconds, my hair looks much more on-purpose when I simply apply the glaze after the root-to-tip serum to my damp hair.
I rarely even dry it, but the glaze offers my curls a little more definition and prevents the fly-away & frazzled look that comes when I skip using it. And, my husband loves the hair products as well–his beard especially loves the Root-to-Tip! Better than any other beard oil he’s tried!
Ready to order? Get on with it! We appreciate your business! Please shop at mydoterra.com/schoolhousefarm & consider wholesale membership! Questions? Contact us!