We picked and pitted 50lbs of cherries in the last 3 days. I’m glad to say our counters are cherry free for the moment – unless they’re in jars becoming wine, in the pie, in bags as leathers, or canned as ‘Tango Cherry Jam’. Having not yet tasted the wine, we can’t know for sure until that’s done, but so far the Tango Cherry Jam is by far the best result of our picking adventure. And I have to share.
Tango Cherry Jam by Schoolhouse Farm
- 5lbs Bing Cherries washed, pitted, and mashed up.
- 2.5cups sugar
- 1 package Sure Gel Low Sugar Pectin
- 1 cup of water
- 10 drops Certified Pure Tangerine Essential Oil (ask us how you can get some free!)
- Bring cherries to a simmer and add in 10 drops Tangerine Essential Oil.
- In a separate pot mix water, sugar, and pectin over the burner. Stir constantly until it comes to a boil, then allow to boil while mixing for 1 minute.
- Quickly pour the pectin mixture over your cherries and stir in quickly and thoroughly.
- Pour into clean canning jars leaving 1/2inch headroom, cover, and allow to sit on the counter overnight or until set.
- Store in the freezer or in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
Please take note that these amount of ingredients makes about 9.8oz jars.
On a side note…
I just captured our first wild-caught sourdough culture (following the simple directions available in this book) since having moved in and it worked so well. Makes me wonder what took me so long, nothing beats warm bread with a generous layer of butter and homemade jam!